The largest stadium in Scandinavia is located in Solna, just north of the city center, next to the lake Rstasjön. The venue has served as Sweden’s national stadium for men’s football since its inception, hence the name Nationalarenan.
Sweden’s men’s national football team and Allsvenskan football club AIK are the stadium’s main tenants, having relocated from the Rsunda Stadium. The stadium has a total capacity of 65,000 for concerts and 50,000 for football matches, but it can be scaled down to accommodate smaller events with approximately 20,000 guests.
10 Surprising Facts About Friends Arena
1. Newest National Stadium: Friends Arena officially opened in October 2012, making it the newest national stadium in Europe at the time. It replaced the old Rasunda Stadium and has since become a modern and versatile venue.
2. Roof Design: The stadium features a retractable roof that can be opened or closed depending on the weather. The roof is made of a translucent material, allowing natural light to enter the stadium even when it is closed. This design enhances the overall atmosphere during events.
3. Largest Dome Structure: The Friends Arena has the largest retractable dome structure in the world, covering the entire playing field. The roof can be opened or closed in approximately 20 minutes, providing flexibility for different types of events.
4. Seating Capacity: The stadium has a seating capacity of around 50,000 for football matches but can be expanded to accommodate over 60,000 for concerts and other events. The flexible seating arrangement makes it suitable for a variety of purposes.
5. Versatility: Friends Arena is not only a football stadium but also a venue for concerts, conferences, and other entertainment events. Its adaptability and modern facilities make it a popular choice for diverse activities.
6. Green Initiatives: The construction of Friends Arena incorporated several green initiatives, including energy-efficient lighting and heating systems. The stadium is designed to be environmentally friendly and sustainable.
7. Location: The arena is located in the district of Solna, just north of central Stockholm. It is easily accessible by public transportation, including buses and commuter trains, making it convenient for visitors.
8. Naming Rights: The stadium’s name, Friends Arena, comes from a Swedish non-profit organization called Friends, which works to combat bullying among children and young people. The naming rights were sold to Friends in a partnership aimed at supporting their cause
9. Inaugural Event: The first major event held at Friends Arena was a friendly football match between Sweden and England on November 14, 2012. The match ended in a 4-2 victory for Sweden, and Zlatan Ibrahimović scored all four goals for the Swedish team.
10. Record for Concert Attendance: Friends Arena has hosted numerous concerts, and in 2013, it set a record for the largest attendance at a concert in Sweden. The attendance record was achieved during a performance by the Swedish band Kent, with over 69,000 people in attendance.
These surprising facts highlight Friends Arena’s modern design, versatility, and significance as a major sports and entertainment venue in Sweden.
Read More: 10 Surprising Facts About Allianz Arena